It is not the mission of this work to give singular and complete histories of societies and lodges.
The Seward County Agricultural Society is closely identified with the progress of agriculture in Seward county from the days of its earliest settlement. Its benefits to all the leading industries of farming, fruit production and stock raising are beyond estimate. In fact, it is difficult to understand what a farming and stock raising county or state could substitute to take the place of an agricultural society.
It is true the society is composed of private individuals who have only a personal interest in the success of the enterprise. But, so are the railroad companies and other companies, almost indispensable to public interest, and it is a fact that a rich county agricultural society is a positive indication of a prosperous community throughout the county.
The Seward County Agricultural Society was organized in 1871 and therefore may be classed among the pioneer enterprises of the county. The first officials were Milton Langdon, president, F.M. Ellsworth, vice president, T.F. Hardenburg, secretary, and George W. Standard, treasurer. And the names of W.W. Cox, James A. Brown, T.L. Norval and Joseph Lossee are connected with the early organization of the society.
The society has held fairs nearly every year since its organization, which have been generally satisfactory and are increasing in interest to the public. Their beautiful fairgrounds in Seward are second-to-none. The buildings are modern and elaborate in design.